Frederik van Lierde
Frederik van Lierde (aka Freddy) turned pro in 2003, and has been winning Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races since. He lives with his family in the town of Menen, Belgium, close to the steep hills that cyclists have to contend with in the annual Tour of Flanders road race.
What is your proudest sporting achievement?
Winning Ironman Hawaii in 2013!
What is your proudest non-sporting achievement?
Having our sons, Aaron (2004) and Simon (2007) and being married to Sofie (2002). Family is everything!
What do you most enjoy about riding bikes?
The freedom of being outside and discovering new roads in different regions and countries. Also, the sound of riding a fast and aerodynamic bike is just wonderful.
What do you find most challenging about riding bikes?
Dealing with the traffic. I always choose to ride on the quiet rural roads.
What is your favourite Cervélo bike and why?
The P5 since it's the bike I discovered for the first time in 2012 and I managed to win a lot of big races with it. And I could a couple of them in very nice color schemes!
What are your goals for this year?
- Sub-8 hour Ironman in IM Texas (I did 7h53)
- Winning Ironman France in Nice for the 5th time (Achieved!)
- Winning Alpe d'Huez long distance triathlon (2nd of August)
- Racing Ironman 70.3 Nice for the first time in preparation of World Championships 70.3 in 2019
- Chasing another podium in Hawaii