Yes, it can be tough to see the clear picture. There are certainly a lot of options to understand!
Actually, there are native BBrightTM power meter cranks:
- Rotor 3D+ (with an SRM or Power2Max spider)
- SRAM Quarq "BB30" (unlike typical BB30 cranks, the Quarq's axles are long enough for BBright)
- Rotor Power®
All these fit natively in BBright’s 30mm ID bearings.
If you already have a different power meter, there are still solutions:
- For Shimano & compatible cranks, use Rotor 4624 BBright bottom bracket (or Wheels adapters in BBright's 30mm bearings).
- For SRAM GXP cranks, use Rotor 4624 BBright bottom bracket, with their GXP sleeve added (or Wheels adapters in BBright's 30mm bearings).
- For FSA MegaExo cranks, use FSA's BBright bottom bracket.
Those are all the options we’re aware of for power meter cranks in BBright frames.
What do people use in practice…?
For years now, Team Garmin-Sharp riders have used Rotor 3D+ cranks with SRM power meters in their Cervélos. Here at Cervélo headquarters, a lot of Cervélo employees have Quarqs or Rotors. They both fit directly in the BBright bottom bracket, and work very well. One Cervélo employee uses a Rotor 4624 BBright bottom bracket with a Quarq spider mounted on a Rotor 3D crank (not the 3D+). This crank has a 24mm axle, and this combination also works well.
Which crank options should you choose?
If you're looking at a new SRAM Quarq, specify "BB30" and it will fit perfectly. Just replace the plastic adjuster thingy on the left with a wave washer and up to two 0.5mm thin plastic spacers, whatever it takes to compress the wave washer but not flatten it.
If you’re looking at Rotor, just specify the 3D+ (the plus sign “+” indicates the bigger 30mm diameter axle).
Enjoy riding your Cervélo with power!
A Few Helpful Links
If you’re installing one of these bottom brackets, you must follow BBright’s specific instructions about LocTite and Primer. They’re in a PDF linked at the bottom of the BBright home page.